Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Another Division

I've managed to complete another Division and now only have four more bases to finish in order to complete the Russian infantry for Montmirail.

Although progress has slowed I'm still managing to maintain the motivation to paint.  I've now painted close on 500 figures in less than two months.  This is close to the total number of 28mm figures I've painted in the last fifteen years.

My target now is to complete the last four bases before the Recon show in Pudsey on 7th December.  I've placed my order with Baccus for another batch of figures to keep me going through until the York show in February (mostly artillery and cavalry) so want these completed.

New bases:

Bases completed so far:

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Sunday, 17 November 2013

First Infantry Corps Completed

Another slow week in terms of painting, but, I've still managed to get the 18th Division based and I'm half way through the second base of the next Division.  I always get a 'buzz' from completing a unit which helps me start the next one.  What I'm finding with 6mm is that the speed of painting units means that 'buzz' is happening far more frequently that it does with 28mm.

If all goes to plan I should have another Division finished next weekend which means I'll have 3/4 of the Russian infantry I need for Montmirail.

Within a few weeks I have managed to paint enough figures for the whole of a Russian infantry Corps.  I'm now starting to see the mass effect that these figures give and can't wait to get the next Corps completed.  I'm also finding that my painting is speeding up as I'm not as concerned about the look of individual figures as I was when I started. 

Friday, 8 November 2013

Steady Progress

Despite heavy work commitments, I've made steady progress since my last post and have now based up two more brigades of infantry.  I have now completed the first of four infantry Divisons required for the two Corps under Sacken.  In between waiting for glue and ink to dry on these bases I have managed to finish the painting on enough figures to do three more bases over the weekend.  This will then give me enough bases for the whole of the XI Corps.  I still need to add a final layer of matt varnish to these so I'll do the flags once that is done, probably once I've got the whole of XI Corps based up.

I'm quite pleased at how quickly these units can grow, it's just a matter of finding a time efficient approach to basing and painting.

I'll get the other three brigades based over the weekend and then get some pictures posted of the whole Corps early next week.  At this rate I should have all of the Russian infantry for Montmirail completed by early December.

With three bases competed, I'm now starting to see the benefits of 6mm.  The figures are really starting to look good.  Once I have the whole Corps completed I'll set my camera up and get some decent photo's.