Wednesday, 30 October 2013

The longest journey begins with the smallest step

First off, thanks to Ian and Tamsin for your responses to the varnish question.  I just used Matt varnish rather than gloss then matt.  Also thanks to Doug whose comment on using lighter colours on 6mm.  When I looked at the figures from a reasonable distance they did just merge into a dark blob, so I spent some time adding fresh highlights to the greatcoats to make them lighter and stand out more.

I have also completed my first base over the past couple of evenings.  I decided to complete one base initially as I wanted to play with different colours, etc. until I got a result I was happy with.  I also learned that its not a good idea to place the strips so close that you can't get a brush between them to highlight the gravel or add flock.  I also added gravel to the entire base before I had glued the skirmishers on, this caused me a number of problems getting them to look right. In the end I did the best I could and then used more static grass than I planned to cover up the messy basework. I'll use less grass on the next base.

I initially went for a muddy brown winter effect on the groundwork and grass, however, this with the brown greatcoats just looked like a fifty shades of brown homage.  So in the end I went for a brighter effect which I'm much happier with. The grass was too green for my liking though so I drybrushed it with green ochre to give it a more autumnal/winter look.

So pictures of my first base completed below, I'll continue doing the bases one at a time for the moment until I'm completely happy with them and will add more pictures as each is completed. 

Once again, thanks for all the comments and tips.  I really do appreciate them.

Friday, 25 October 2013

What varnish on 6mm figures?

I have made good progress over the past week and a bit and now have close to 6 bases (60mmx60mm) worth of figures painted and ready to be based.  I decided to press on with the skirmishers and complete enough for all thirteen bases (78 figures) as I found these quite tricky to paint compared to the marching infantry.  In fact the skirmishers and the command sprues seem to be slightly smaller than the normal infantry sprues.  This is not noticeable when they are ranked up but I found them a little trickier to paint.

Anyway I have now plucked up the courage to start basing my first 6mm units and one question I have is - how do others varnish their 6mm figures?  On 28mm I have always used Humbrol enamel gloss varnish followed by two coats of Daler Rowney Matt varnish.  I'm wondering if this is necessary on 6mm figures though as the way they are based means that they won't be handled as much as 28mm's.

Appreciate any comments you may have on this and on basing 6mm figures in general.

On the plus side I have now finished all the figures I bought in my batch and have ordered the rest of the infantry (plus additional command stands so that I can have two standards in each unit rather than one) artillery, casualties and officers.  I hope to pick these up at Fiasco on Sunday and have a look at the new French figures that Baccus have released.

Photo's of based figures coming up soon.

Tuesday, 8 October 2013

6mm WIP

I've managed to complete my first 6mm figures over the past few nights and have posted a couple of WIP shots below.  These figures represent three 60mmx60mm bases or a Russian Division of six regiments (all single battalions by 1814) including two regiments of Jager.  I've painted the Jager with green cuffs, I'm quite certain they didn't have coloured cuffs in reality but this adds a bit of colour so I'm going to stick with it.

These have taken about 10 hours to get to this stage and I think I can reduce that now that I'm getting used top painting this scale.  I'm going to need twenty six regiments (or thirteen bases) in total for the two Russian Infantry Corps commanded by Sacken at Montmirail.

I've moved onto some skirmishing figures which will go at the front of each base, I should have these done over the next few nights.  I can then start basing them over the weekend.

Apologies for the quality of the photos, I did these quickly with my phone camera, appreciate any comments or suggestions:

Tuesday, 1 October 2013

6mm Napoleonic Russians

I've finally given in and realised that my limited painting time and gaming space just aren't compatible with 28mm for recreating Napoleon's 1814 campaign.  The reasons for this are explained on my Napoleonic blog (La Patrie en Danger) along with my initial plans for this project.

After a trip down to Castle Donnington at the weekend I now have a couple of packs of 6mm Russian Infantry in greatcoats from Baccus.  I'll get these painted over the next week or so and post some pictures along with my initial reactions to this size of figure.

I have to say that I am amazed at how much detail these little chaps have on them and I'm looking forward to painting them.