Friday, 20 February 2015

Man-Flu and Oldhammer

Looks like I brought a case of man-flu back from London with me this week.  Nothing too major but enough to ensure I missed my posting deadline last night.  Quite frustrating as I had some 28mm figures finished and ready for photographing.  I'll have to submit them next week now.

I always planned to paint a number of 28mm figures as part of the competition, I brought forward the start of these as I'm spending so much time away from home during the week and need something light to transport and relatively simple to paint.

I have a load of old Citadel figures and paints from the 1980's that I'd like to get painted over the next few years.  This started during the revival of Warhammer Fantasy 3rd edition or 'Oldhammer' as it's now been called.  I have hundreds of the plastic skeletons and had always wanted to paint up an undead army. I planned to start this a couple of years ago but never got much beyond designing an army and undercoating a few skeleton cavalry figures.

Given that the undead are light and do not need too many paints, I've decided to try and paint as many rank and file skeletons as I can before the competition ends.  I'm restricting myself to the original citadel paints for the figures as I still have all of these and they are still useable after nearly thirty years.  I will be using modern day tufts for the bases though as these are so nice compared to old static grass.

I started painting the skeletons a couple of weeks and submitted a couple of units to the Analogue Challenge last week.



I painted up 10 archers initially as I wanted a small number of figures to practice painting bone.  I like how these turned out.



Next up was 20 Grim Reapers, skeletons armed with two handed scythes.  I'm really pleased with the way the wooden handles turned out.



The bases consist of three different colored tufts highlighted with Miniature Paints Cream.  I chose these colours as I want the vegetation to look like it has had the life sucked out of it by the Undead forces as they advance.  I think this has worked out quite nicely.



I've really enjoyed painting these figures, it took me back to when I first started painting and had to experiment with paint mixes to get the colours I wanted as there weren't too many shades around initially.




I should be able to complete another skeleton before next Thursday, I have 14 figures already complete so only need another 12.  I'm at home every night next week as well so should be able to get complete the 90 Cossacks as well.  This combined with the skeletons will take me over the 500 point mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment